Young Innovators to Watch is an initiative of Living in Digital Times in cooperation with partners. The Award provides recognition to individuals or small teams (between the ages of 13 and 19) for developing projects that demonstrate exceptional creativity and innovation in technical or scientific contexts. Award winners may receive in-kind prizes, media promotion, and other benefits through the award. Winners will be notified by the date specified on the web site and will be invited to attend an awards ceremony as specified on the web site.
The award is open to individuals and small teams, ages 13 to 19, that have created an innovative technical or scientific project. Other requirements may be stated on the award website. Projects must be original work, and may have been developed as a result of school, extracurricular, or outside-of-school activities, including hackathons, community events, consulting projects or entrepreneurial activities. All submissions must:
- Have an applicant that has fully complied with all of the Official Rules of the Award. The applicant has committed no fraud or deception in any element of the award including, but not limited to, entering the award or in claiming the prize. The applicant specifically represents that the submission made in the award was original, the work of the applicant’ team, organization, or themselves, and does not violate the intellectual property, common law or privacy rights of other parties. The applicant further represents that as of the date entered into this Award and date of this declaration, the applicant was an eligible entrant of the award.
- Projects that were the result of a team effort may be submitted for an award. Teams are limited to submitting one application form that lists all affiliated team members. All members of the team must meet the age requirements for the Award. The person submitting a team application will be used by LIDT to communicate with the team. Recommendation letters should reflect familiarity with the team’s work, process and character.
The Award is subject to all applicable United States federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Participation constitutes entrant’s full and unconditional agreement to these Official Rules and the Administrator, partner and affiliate’s decisions, which are final and binding on all matters related to the Award. Winning an award is contingent upon fulfilling all requirements set forth herein.
Following the Closing Date, the Administrator, partner and affiliates will screen Projects for eligibility and may request additional information from any Applicant in order to evaluate eligibility. Eligible Projects will be evaluated by a group of Evaluators selected by the Administrator, partner and affiliates, and Evaluators may request additional information. Evaluators will assess each project based on the evaluation criteria, and Evaluators will select a group of Finalists to be evaluated by the Administrator, partner and affiliate’s selected Judges. Judges will assess finalists on how successfully the project meets their judging criterion and will select the winners to be awarded.
Administrator, partner and affiliates reserve the right to substitute or modify the list of Evaluators or Judges at any time for any reason. Judges have the right to withdraw without advance notice. Judges will be fair and impartial. A judge may elect to recuse himself or herself from judging a Project, if in the judge’s sole discretion it is not appropriate for him or her to judge that particular project because of a past or current relationship with that particular Applicant, or for any other reason. Applicants will not be at a disadvantage if any judge recuses himself or herself.
Decisions made by the Administrator, partner and affiliates, Evaluators and Judges are binding and final on all matters relating to this Award, and are not subject to appeal or dispute.
All Applicants must submit application materials including the recommendation form by closing date as specified on the web site. To be deemed eligible for award the applicant must meet all eligibility requirements and all Project Submissions must contain the following:
- A completed application form.
- A picture, video or website of their project to be considered for submission.
- If under 18, the applicant must obtain and submit a parental/guardian consent.
- Affirmation that the submission does not infringe upon copyright law or the intellectual property of an uncredited party.
A completed recommendation form is optional.
PLEASE NOTE: A video, Photo or website of the functioning project is REQUIRED.
Applicants must submit at least a working prototype (or complete business plan if the product is experiential), but more developed products will be more carefully considered.
Entry Conditions and Release
By entering, Applicants agree to the following conditions and release:
(1) Each Applicant agrees to comply with and be bound by these Official Rules and the decisions of the Administrator, partner and affiliates, and/or Judges which are binding and final in all matters relating to this Award. (2) Each Applicant also agrees to release and hold harmless the Administrator, partner and affiliates, and their respective parent, subsidiary, and affiliated companies, the award suppliers and any other organizations responsible for sponsoring, fulfilling, administering, advertising or promoting the Award, and all of their respective past and present officers, directors, employees, agents and representatives (collectively, the “Released Parties”) from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liability. These claims, expenses, and liability include, but are not limited to, negligence and damages of any kind to persons and property, including but not limited to invasion of privacy (under appropriation, intrusion, public disclosure of private facts, false light in the public eye or other legal theory), defamation, slander, libel, violation of right of publicity, infringement of trademark, copyright or other intellectual property rights, property damage, or death or personal injury arising out of or relating to an Applicant’s entry, creation of an entry or submission of an entry, participation in the Award, acceptance or use or misuse of award (including any travel or activity related thereto) and/or the broadcast, transmission, performance, exploitation or use of entry. (3) Each Applicant also agrees to indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Administrator, partner and affiliates from and against any and all claims, expenses, and liabilities (including reasonable attorneys’ fees) arising out of or relating to an Applicant’s participation in the Award and/or Applicant’s acceptance, use or misuse of prize. (4) Applicants are solely responsible for the intellectual property of their ideas including the Project used to apply for the Award. Applicants have complete discretion over what details they provide Administrator, partner and affiliates with. Applicants must exercise discretion while providing Project details and verify that they possess the knowledge that the provided details of their Project may be made public. Applicants who do not wish to have certain project details disclosed to the public should refrain from including such details in their application.
Except where prohibited, participation in the Award constitutes the Applicant’s consent to Administrator, partner and affiliates and their agents use of winner’s name, likeness, photograph, school information, voice, opinions, hometown and state, and project screenshots, videos, descriptions and commentary for promotional purposes in any media, worldwide, without further payment or consideration.
The Administrator, partner and affiliates reserve the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Award, or any part of it, if any fraud, technical failures or any other factor beyond the Administrator’s, partner’s and affiliate’s reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Award, as determined by the Administrator, partner and affiliates in their sole discretion. The Administrator, partner and affiliates reserve the right in their sole discretion to disqualify any individual or Applicant it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the Award or to be acting in violation of these Official Rules or any other promotion or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner.
Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Award may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Administrator, partner and affiliates reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Administrator, partner and affiliate’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
Limitations of Liability
The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized in the Award; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Award; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the Award or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from entrant’s participation in the Award or receipt or use or misuse of any prize. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Award may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, the Administrator, partner and affiliates reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. The Administrator, partner and affiliate’s failure to enforce any term of these Official Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
Disputes and/or decisions arising under this Award that relates to the award of material or monetary prizes shall be resolved by the Administrator and partners and such determination shall be final, binding and conclusive. With respect to any disputes and/or decisions between the applicant the Administrator, partner and affiliates, and/or Judges herein, the applicant expressly waives and relinquishes any and all rights it might otherwise have to contest any such disputes and/or decisions.
Administrator, partner and affiliates collect personal information from Applicants when Applicants enter the Award. By agreeing to these Terms and Conditions, Applicants authorize the Administrator, partner and affiliates to share personal information with Award partner, including, but not limited to, Strategic Partner and Sponsors. Award
Results of the Award will be made available on the website.
The Administrator, partner and affiliates reserve the right to modify the Official Rules, Terms & Conditions, and/or Award format at any time. It is anticipated that any such modifications will be posted to the Award website and that it will be the responsibility of the Applicants to check the website for any such changes.
Verification of Potential Winners
All Applicants must comply with all terms and conditions of these Official Rules. Any Applicant that is awarded and elects to accept any cash prize must also comply with any requirements imposed by the Administrator, partner and affiliates in connection with the award of material or monetary prizes. In the event that a Winner is disqualified for any reason, the Administrator, partner and affiliates may award the applicable prize to an alternate Winner who was evaluated highest of the remaining eligible entries.